Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5/26 Releases
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:45 pm 

I guess posting 3 of 4 would be anticlimactic now.

Post subject: Re: 5/26 Releases
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:34 pm 

I'm thrilled about Jaws 3-D.

I'm also thrilled about the other leaked release, That Man Bolt. Oh, wait, that one was in my dreams.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:26 pm 

Anticlimactic??

I think you mean FREAKING AWESOME Roger! Seriously I was a little afraid (despite your excellent recent release of Jaws: The Revenge in complete form) that you guys at Intrada thought that your previous release of the album program was enough for Jaws 3D. I'm so glad to find out you didn't feel that way at all and we'll be getting th *definitive* 2 disc release with all of the film and unique album recordings!

And I hope this means you're working your way backwards through the series...

So what about the other title getting released?

Yavar

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:46 pm 

I know I'm greatly appreciative for the next Jaws entry. And I too hope we can look forward to 1 and 2 being given the Intrada treatment as well! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:49 pm 

I'm very excited for Jaws 3-D, myself. Having only been buying scores from the specialty labels for a few years now, I missed Intrada's initial release. Occasionally I'd call it up on eBay to contemplate spending the extra money to get a copy, but something always held me back. After the recent release of Jaws: The Revenge, the temptation to splurge on it was even greater, but I still never pulled the trigger. You have no idea how glad I am now that I resisted temptation. Based on what I saw before the FSM thread was closed and deleted, the new Jaws 3-D looks absolutely amazing. Count me as another that this means you guys are working your way backwards through the series for the 40th Anniversary of the franchise.

Now we just need the film released on 3-D Blu-Ray... but not even Intrada's awesomeness can help with that.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 am 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
I guess posting 3 of 4 would be anticlimactic now.

My initial thought was Psycho III but then I read the other posts, I know nothing of this "leak" so I'm as excited for Jaws 3D as anyone. There was always a part of the soundtrack that bugged me: In the film when the dolphins come to the rescue, the sharks fin strikes the water and there's a quick, clear blast of the Jaws theme. But for some reason on the soundtracks it never seems as clear or pronounced.....or maybe that's just how I hear it.

I'd love all the sequels on bluray. I can almost accept that 3/4 aren't released but 2 was a massive success and works very well within its own style. It is quite baffling that Universal haven't released the sequels, they've always been a good money-spinner for them. Hopefully they'll give Scream Factory the rights and we'll get collectors editions (of 2 at least)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 am 

Another grail being released!

Thanks again Intrada!

It will be great to have the film version of this score finally available.

If in Jaws The Revenge you have a lot of aggressive fast-paced music including the shark theme. In Jaws 3-D you have the oposite, slow versions of the shark theme in low strings, and great action music based on Stravinky's The Rite of Spring balanced by the "fun" music for the park and its attractions. It is a great score that I thought I might never see released in complete form.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 am 

Leak or not, I'm still excited.

I still have to pick up 4 of 4, but that is strictly a question of WHEN, not IF.

Still looking forward to 2 of 4, which is my favorite of them all.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:32 am 

JeffM wrote:
Still looking forward to 2 of 4, which is my favorite of them all.

Jaws 2 is certainly a curious situation. Here we have a dynamite score by one of the absolute most famous film composers ever, and we haven't even seen a reissue of the very good album that has been out-of-print for decades. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:29 am 

I've always had the impression the circumstances haven't lined up for a reissue or expansion on 2. It's by JW but isn't one of his best known, it's a great score but not hugely appreciated due to the film never really becoming big, the original CD is older but it seems a lot of people have it and the sound quality is fantastic (even by today's standards), etc.

I think it's a matter of time really. These releases of 3 and 4, that 2 isn't a Varese-owned title, plus the anniversary of 1 and its desperate need of a proper release of both score and album soundtrack will hopefully lead to a happy ending for the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:51 am 

Is this a clue for the second title in Doug's posting? :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6677

Junior Bonner (Fielding)
The Gauntlet (Fielding) complete and chronological!
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Barton)
Madigan (Costa)
Columbo (Goldenberg/Mellé)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:21 am 

Traveling Matt wrote:
I've always had the impression the circumstances haven't lined up for a reissue or expansion on 2. It's by JW but isn't one of his best known, it's a great score but not hugely appreciated due to the film never really becoming big, the original CD is older but it seems a lot of people have it and the sound quality is fantastic (even by today's standards), etc.

That is plausible. To my knowledge, the Jaws 2 album was not even part of UMG Japan's recent large-scale reissue campaign that included albums such as Airport and Airport 1975, among lots of much more widely available titles.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:54 pm 

JAWS 3D &....

JAWS 2 ?
PSYCHO III ?
DRACULA ?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:09 am 

Jaws 3-D revised will be an instant Intrada purchase.
Just sad to hear some people will go to great lengths to spoil a forth coming release & try to sell it elsewhere.
Also hope that Intrada are working on the other Jaws scores, but out of interest what is the situation regarding Jaws 2? can Intrada do something with this or are rights with Varese?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 pm 

I believe Jaws 3-D is the most underrated score in the series. I've read lots of reviews and comments on how it sounds like tv music or simply dismissing the music (which is not the case of Jaws the Revenge were reviews usually regard the music as the best thing in the film).

I hope a complete release of Jaws 3-D will help this score to gain more respect.
It is a great score for orquestra (does not sound like tv music at all) with lots of themes - and very good ones.

As for Jaws and Jaws 2 I believe they're comming (Intrada must be saving the best for last). Doug already mentioned that the original Jaws tapes are in pristine conditon and sounding great (and that the problem with the previous album was the downmix from the 5 channel soundtrack created for the dvd). And Jaws 2 is never mentioned in the list of scores Varese owns in perpetuity, apparently Varese only had the rights to issue the MCA album. On Jaws 2 my only concern is if the original stereo tapes exist and are in good shape.